Thursday, October 30, 2008

First Graders, Field Trips, Fear and the Facts

Working at home + being sick for 10 days = way too much time watching TV.

If I see the misleading Prop 8 commercial about the first graders and the field trip one more time, I am going to be seriously tempted to shoot my TV--and that's saying something because it's brand new (and I'd have to get my butt off the couch and go buy a gun). The statement made in the ad that "a public school took first graders to a lesbian wedding" is actually much more than misleading...it's a lie. You can read an in-depth check of the facts here: http://mormonsformarriage.com/?p=48. But in short, the school did not take the kids. A parent took the kids. And the kids didn't witness the wedding. They stood outside on the steps of city hall and threw rose petals on the teacher as she exited with her partner. Parents were consulted and permission slips were signed. Two families opted out, and their kids stayed behind at the school. I could go on.

Does anyone else find it troubling that this campaign relies on fear rather than the facts???

No comments: